Monday, August 3, 2009

Pre-Season Post

So I guess this is my first entry in the ASU Rowing blog. Just want to say that I am so thankful for having returning rowers on the team that are so enthusiastic about making this team really develop into something special. I would talk about what I can provide for this team as the new mens coach, but if you've read my bio, you would tune out about now.

What I can say is that I have not really been a part of an established, and nationally successful team that continues to succeed just by tradition. However, the past 2 rowing clubs I have been involved with really showed me a sense of what it takes to create a successful team from small roots. The high school club I joined in Atlanta only had about 30 something rowers total, and by the time I graduated, we had reached our capacity of 110 rowers, and actually started a waiting list. This was because we simply did not have the facility or other means to accomidate more. That waiting list is still used today, season after season. What I realized is that it took dedicated rowers, coaches, and parents to work together and build the structure of the team. It took a lot of time and sacrifice, but in the end, it made the team grow exponentially, and the team name is well known in the region.

At Jacksonville University, I was recruited to help build that team as well. The coach was seeking rowers that were genuinely passionate about the sport, and not just the athletes that have shown success. The passionate ones in this sport can quickly pick out others that are in it for the wrong reasons, and only do it for scholarship or they're forced into it for other reasons. I'm not saying all rowers under scholarship are like that, but some exist. Anyway, after some time there, those that were honest about growth and recruiting stuck around, and did the best they could to make a name for their school. With that kind of attitude, they did not necessarily make enormous achievements, but just the passion of the sport was shown to others. By the time I left in 2006, a little team of about 20-30 athletes got the attention of alumni and other supporters, and that same year, a state of the art rowing center was built to give the team the best facility possible. Those involved in the team building process can attest that the rowing center is an obvious result of their efforts and enthusiasm.

Here at ASU, I plan to contribute whatever I can to create a similar effect on those that get involved. Being involved in a building process of a rowing team for the 3rd time would be quite an honor and an experience of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment